Motion design is a new direction in computer animation, which involves the creation of moving objects. It is important to draw a clear line between this concept and graphics. Motion design is only one of the types of animation, in which the minimum number of elements responsible for the narration and plot. Although it is very closely related to graphic design. Its main tool is text, navigation components or ads. To convey the essence of these elements to the user, they are combined with characters that are able to evoke certain emotions without having to take center stage.
Now in simple words: if there is a need to enliven the circle from which the brand name will appear or create a moving company logo, then we are talking about motion design.
Before using motion graphics services, it’s worth understanding what animation is and how it differs from motion graphics called “motion”. Under the concept of animation is hidden the name of all existing methods that are used to animate static objects. The motion category includes technologies for creating moving elements in presentations, web design and graphics. And it is a kind of animation.
One of the most famous examples of creating objects using the latest technique is titles. Let’s see what these elements are and how they are created.
Features and role of shooting galleries
Text inscriptions play an important role in the film and gaming industry, in advertising. Their design carries a certain message. Each product has its own unique type of text, both externally and technically. Color, size, font type are the three main aspects in creating a font. To enhance the aesthetic perception of the object, it is revived. It doesn’t matter what video format it is – amateur or professional, moving text messages make any video spectacular and interesting.
Considering that titles appear at the beginning and at the end of the video, that is, at the most important moments of the video, the viewer will be able to judge the quality of the video from the first seconds to the last minutes of viewing. These elements perform several important functions and these are:
1. They create a first impression. They are the very first in the video and appear before the viewer in the form of logos, headlines, intros, introductory words. For example, if you take any movie for analysis, you can remember how it begins with an indication of the actors, director, screenwriter and other participants in the project. The same goes for presentations. They always begin with the title, performers and purpose of the project, so that the audience can understand what will be discussed further, inform.
2. Arouse interest. Sometimes there are titles at the beginning of the film saying that it is based on real events or that it is dedicated to someone and so on. It becomes more interesting for the viewer; intrigue is created even before the start of watching the video. Commercials also have this effect: moving text helps to interest the viewer so that he does not want to turn off the video, and he watched it until the end.
3. An energetic dynamic is created. If the text is static, it is informative, but nothing more. The gaze is not fixed on him. Another thing is if the letters and words jump, roll over or float into the distance, as it was in Star Wars at the very beginning. Dynamism makes objects alive. You watch them like you watch the film itself, because there is some kind of action on the screen.
Considering all these effects, even the smallest inscription itself can arouse the interest of the viewer and riveted his attention to the screen.
Three Key Rules for Creating Effective Motion Titles
When it comes to motion design, you don’t have to learn typography to create good titles. What is meant by “good”? This is not only quality, but all the effects listed above: dynamics, showiness and increased interest in the video.
Design is an art and quite complex. You need to know a lot of rules and nuances of creating text objects. The choice of font alone is worth something. Although to the viewer it seems like a mere trifle. He does not even think that if the font were not so voluminous, original and bright, he would not stop paying attention to it. Motion title masters adhere to several important rules and these are:
1. Easier means better. No need to use long words or complex sentences. It is good if the viewer does not strain his eyes in order to have time to read everything that is presented on the screen or try to decipher the message of the text. People don’t like complexity. Everything should be simple, understandable and accessible. Briefly, beautifully, effectively and clearly. And still it is necessary to refuse running long lines. In 90% of cases they will simply be ignored. Firstly, you need to keep track of them, and secondly, there is no way to return the already gone text in order to remember what was written there. In addition, running lines distract the viewer from what is happening on the screen.
2. Choosing the optimal time for the introduction of titles. They should be on the screen for exactly as long as the viewer can read, understand and comprehend. This usually takes 2-3 seconds. During this time, the human brain manages to cope with the information received, provided that the first paragraph is completed and the text is divided into short courses without using long words. This time does not include the period of disappearance and appearance of the text. If the titles are two-line, then their display time should also be extended to 4-6 seconds, depending on the complexity of the text message.
3. The timeliness of the introduction of the initial splash screen and titles. It is important that the sound does not appear after the credits. These elements are introduced at the same time. Experts say that the sound can be ahead of the image by a fraction of a second.
And do not forget that the inscription should move at a speed that is pleasing to the eye. Too fast and too slow titles people usually just rewind. In the first case, they are angry that they do not have time to read them and do not see the point in wasting their time on this, and in the second, they simply get bored.
What else is worth knowing?
To get stylish, eye-catching titles on your smartphone app, you can turn to the mobile design pattern service offered by private developers and mobile app development companies.
To make the titles spectacular and interesting to the viewer, it is also important to take into account the pause when changing the titles – this is a quarter of a second or a couple of frames. If you do not use such a break, it will be difficult for human eyes to perceive the text.
In addition, in recent times, due to the development of innovative digital technologies, captions can be replaced not only with an interesting and at the same time readable font, but also with the introduction of various signs, mini-drawings, symbols that are understandable for modern viewers to read. Absolutely all symbols or numbers introduced into titles are normally perceived by the human eye, since they are very simple in design features. True, such a decision is rarely made, since basically the most important thing is the text and what is written in this text. Storytelling and clarity are paramount.
John an experienced IT specialist with over a decade of experience in the industry. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and has worked in various positions, including software developer, system administrator, and network engineer. John’s expertise includes cloud computing, cybersecurity, and data analytics. He has completed numerous certifications in these areas and is highly knowledgeable in the latest technologies and trends.